In mathematics, we were taught that “X” stands for the unknown, and to get the unknown,we need to have an equation. I know ‘mathematics’ is one of the least interesting subjects to discuss but let’s consider a simple equation that I have termed ‘The Equation Of Love’.
y + x = l
In this equation,
Y represents You
X: Your Partner
Knowing the other variables, yourself and that thing called love, one of life’s greatest challenges is finding X because only when you have found X can you find love.
We all belong to different schools of thought when it comes to love but what is love? The bible gave us a perfect foundation on what love truly is in 1cor 13:4
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.”
Love is one of the most profound emotions known to man. There are many kinds of love, but most people seek its expression in a romantic relationship with a compatible partner.
In our world today, love is said to be the foundation to finding the perfect partner. It is this misconception that has led many to unhappy marriages and a few broken hearts. So I chose to rephrase that statement…
‘Finding the right partner is the first step (foundation) to finding true love.’
Now that brings us to our question of the day.
Who is your ideal partner? Your Mr or Miss X.
Also, at what point in life is it safe to lower our standards or compromise on the qualities we look out for in a partner? On the other hand, do we set unrealistic criteria for selecting a partner?
Being a woman, there are certain qualities I look out for in a man and these qualities help determine if I fall in love with him or not. People often say love is blind and as such you don’t always choose who you fall in love with. True?
You fall in love with a person because you have carried out (knowingly or unknowingly) a mental assessment of the qualities they possess and when they meet your standards, you can’t help but fall.
As individuals, we all have different desires and ideas, so there isn’t a comprehensive list of qualities to look out for in a partner. Each to his own.
I’ve heard some ladies say they need a man who’s hard working, God fearing, humble and kind, while others look out for qualities that are more fleeting. You hear stuffs like “he must be rich, tall, dark and handsome with 6packs looolz.
Even in fairy tales, every girl wants her Prince Charming to be brave, strong and definitely handsome. I’m yet to read about an ugly prince. Even the beast in ‘Beauty & The Beast’ turned out to be good looking :mrgreen:.
So, I’ve decided to share with you guys an article I once read on the instagram page of weddingdigestnaija, outlining a certain lady’s requirements for her Mr X. While some found it offensive and stupid, some found it rather hilarious and others pratical.
Excerpts from the diary of a single lady:
“I’m not compromising on my standards and man goals, I’m 31 turning into 32 next year, despite several bashing from my mum/family about being single, i don’t want to lower my standards. I know how i want my ideal man to be, most men i meet in lagos are not showing these qualities. Most of my friends are married but they are not happy. They all got married so they can wear designer gown, put Wedding # on IG. I’m finally married, i’ve joined the respectable list of women in the society. I almost threw up, so because you are married you’re automatically respectable? SMH. Anyways here are my list of requirement for my future man in 2016 “Dear Future Man”
1. please be respectable to my heart desires.
2. You must have a Foreign Passport(blue or wine)
3. When we marry, i don’t want you to leave me at home and always go out without me.
4. Cheating of any sorts are not allowed.
5. You must love God more than you love me.
6. You must be 6ft and above.
7. You must be uncannily handsome
8. You must earn at least 700,000 a month
9. I don’t mind living in the mainland but our furniture should be from french heritage/christopher guy.
10. I’m into intimacy and self we have to talk to each other on the phone 27hours a week
11. Your family are allowed to stay with us provided they pick a chore in the house.
12. I’m not big on engagement rings but i would love to be dazzled by your proposal concept (probably a destination proposal).
13. I must have your password and you can have mine too
14. I’m not a kitchen person but i can learn to cook or better still hire a cook.
15. There are no sidechicks in my dictionary,so that’s not an option.
16. Family vacations are mandatory at least 4times a year.
17. I dont want you on social media platform especially ig and fb.
18. We have to join a vocational painting class.
19. I’ve been taking trains and driving all my life i would like us to have drivers.
20. I would love, cherish, pray and stand by you.
Cc of JoroOlumofin
Most ladies throw away their dreams and standards because of ring. Not me IJN.”
I laughed really hard when I read the article especially that last bit about ladies throwing away their dreams and standards because of ring. As vain as she might seem, she clearly knows what she wants
PS: To find your ideal partner, you must first work on becoming an ideal partner.
Love, hugs & exercise.
Please share your thoughts and comments.thanks